It can be challenging to determine when it is time to contact a Houston podiatrist. If you experience persistent pain in your ankles or feet, you should get evaluated by a podiatrist. Furthermore, noticeable changes to the toenails, foot skin such as scaling, peeling, or severe cracking check with podiatrists Houston for proper diagnosis. Watch out for red streaks, blisters, pain, swelling, warmth, and pain could be signs of bacterial infection to the feet. In severe cases of infection, you might have a fever or discharge of pus in the affected area. Most definitely call the podiatrists Houston if you experience heel pain accompanied by tingling on the heel, redness, fever, numbness, warmth, pain on the feet while resting, and persistent pain that is not alleviated by pain relievers or applying ice. Patients with underlying conditions are at increased risks of severe bacterial infections; they may develop sores or wounds.
A podiatrist is a medical professional specializing in the treatment of disorders on the lower extremity, ankle, and foot areas. There are specializing areas within the foot and ankle field that means getting specialized care for your condition is possible. Foot disorders are becoming widespread because of the aging population that has neglected foot health. Foot doctors deal with soft tissue pathologies of the foot including circulatory and neurological disorders, bones, and joints disorders.
Foot doctors can diagnose and treat conditions affecting the lower limb such as
- Skin and nail conditions
- Plantar fasciitis
- Plantar warts
- Ingrown toenails
- Foot and ankle fractures
- Foot and ankle sprains
- Flat feet – a podiatrist molds your feet to custom make foot support braces for arch support to avoid further injuries.
Simple ways to treat your feet
Spending a few minutes daily on foot care will keep your feet problem-free for a long time.
- Thoroughly wash your feet, pay special attention between the toes. Dry the feet thoroughly to lessen athletes’ foot, fungal, and bacterial infections.
- Soak your feet in warm water daily for around 10 minutes.
- Moisturize your feet after a thorough washing. If you have smelly feet, soak them in a mixture of vinegar and water.
- Alternate shoes daily to give each pair time to air and avoid triggering foot infections and odors.
- Wear wide heeled two-inch shoes with a wide toe box. Go slow on the flat shoes because they do not support the arch, so limit the time spent on flat shoes.
The feet are designed to support your weight as you walk, stand, and run. Foot pain and deformities can limit your movement. When some health conditions are not treated well, they can cause damage to the feet. A podiatrist is an expert on every inch of your foot. If foot pain and injuries seem to get worse after two days seek urgent medical care. If it is unbearable to put weight on your foot or you cannot walk call podiatrists Houston immediately.